Thursday, May 2, 2013

It doesn't get any more winegardenery than this


A bottle of wine and a gardening activity — there are other variables that can be introduced, but basic wine gardening at its core is simple.
   
How about this variable: A mandevilla plant named after different types of wine to distinguish the different colors of blooms on the plant. 

I've always liked the mandevilla plant, but it's recently become even more appealing.

I ran across these MandeVino plants last weekend at the Home Depot that's close to my house.

Sangria, rose and cabernet mandevillas.


I've always treated Mandevillas as annuals and have never tried overwintering them.

I have a couple of places I plant them, both on trellises.

One pot I have with a 3 foot iron trellis stuck in dirt works well. I like this one because I can move it around to different places on my patio or in my backyard to add a little color as the growing season progresses and then deteriorates.

Depends on what my kill rate has been by August or September and what I'm able to find at the nursery for replacements in other locations. 

This has generally been a good utility plant.

I have another spot along a fence that serves as a trellis for the vines. 

My experience has been that they grow best if they're positioned to get a few hours of morning sun and avoid the harsher direct afternoon sun, unlike bougainvillea.

I used to think there was some relation between these two because the names sound similar to me (at least when a Southerner pronounces them) but they're two totally different plants.

They're both woody vines, but in my experience, bougainvillea does love as much direct sun as it can get and handles the heat much better. 

I'm going to give these new mandevillas a shot and see how they work out.

And I think that'll be a good excuse to try a wine flight while I'm doing my planting.

A cabernet, a sangria and a rose... 

No comments:

Post a Comment